Friday, December 28, 2012


I have a holiday story to tell that involves pushing people’s buttons and the value of knowledge.
Twas the day after Thanksgiving, and all through the store, frenzied elves were all searching for more. Their buggies were loaded in high rising stacks in hopes that their credit card limits weren't maxed. Their children were manic and running around, in hopes that ipods soon would be found. When up on the roof there arose such a clatter, the manager called me to see what was the matter. His nerves all a-jangle, reason passing away, he requested my services to salvage the day.” I am just sitting down to sup with my kin, first thing in the morning I will gladly begin.” “Please come now” he insisted and pleaded, “this is Black Friday, I’ll pay anything needed. “”I have no boards, no relays or switches. I can’t fix it if more parts are needed.” I quoted a price so round and stout that I thought surely he would wait the day out. When to my wondering ears he replied, “agreed – come quickly before customers fly.” I found a reset, red and protruding, I pushed it to see just what the unit was doing. The dead unit sprang into life and I saw on his face, a look of relief at all the sales saved. I checked to make sure it would run through the night, and promised to return to do it up right. I requested my fee for services rendered, when the manager balked and refused to surrender. “You can’t charge ALL THAT for pushing a button!” “Of course not,” I said, “pushing is free. Knowing which button to push demands the full fee!”

There is nothing wrong with charging for what you know. You have an investment in time and money collecting useful knowledge. It is reasonable and appropriate to charge for it. The customer should know up front what they will be paying and what they will be receiving for their payment.

Disclaimer: This is a fictional holiday tale. No buttons were pushed in the making of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment